The Greater Capital Association of REALTORS® (GCAR) is a trade association of 2800 real estate licensees and affiliated professionals in related industries united in purpose and dedicated to providing knowledgeable and ethical real estate services to consumers and to fellow REALTORS®. GCAR is the result of the merger of two associations, each with their roots in the 1920s, the Albany County and the Rensselaer County Boards of REALTORS. Those two organizations merged in 1992 to form GCAR and were joined by the majority of REALTORS throughout the Capital Region to strengthen GCAR. GCAR is the “Voice For Real Estate In The Capital Region.”
The Greater Capital Association of REALTORS® strives to provide its members with programs and services which enhance the members’ ability to successfully conduct their businesses in a competent and ethical manner, and to promote the public’s right to use and transfer real property.
The Greater Capital Association of REALTORS® represents real estate professionals from Albany, Columbia, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren and Washington Counties in New York State.
As part of its leadership role on behalf of real estate professionals GCAR is charged with the enforcement of the REALTOR® Code of Ethics amongst its membership. Included is:
- Promotion of professional conduct through adherence to the Code of Ethics of the National Association of REALTORS®.The establishment of a Grievance Committee which evaluates complaints from members and the public involving ethics or arbitration.Maintenance of a Professional Standards Committee that conducts ethics hearings to enforce the Code of Ethics and conducts Arbitration hearings to settle disputes arising out of the real estate business.
- Mediation procedures are provided as a resolution alternative to a formal arbitration hearing.
- Ethics Complaint Form
- Agreement to Mediate
- Request and Agreement to Arbitrate
- 2015 Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice of the National Association of REALTORS®
GCAR is the Capital Region leader in real estate professional education efforts. GCAR’s education offerings include:
- Orientation for new members
- An annual Education and Trade Show
- Educational seminars and programs
- Continuing education courses
- Skill training programs
- Management seminars
- Designation courses
- Sponsorship of GRI courses
Recognizing that events in Albany and Washington D.C. greatly affect the ability of private property owners to freely buy, sell and use real property GCAR, in partnership with State and National associations is active in helping to mold legislation beneficial to private property owners. That effort includes:
- Participation in lobbying efforts of the National Association of REALTORS® and the New York State Association of REALTORS®.Interaction with State and National legislators on issues affecting property rights and the Real Estate industry in general. Contributions to the REALTORS® Political Action Fund (RPAC) and support of committee actions.
- Responses to calls-to-action when requested by local, state, and national REALTORS® trade groups.
GCAR’s communications activities include its members, the media, and the public.
- Across the Association, our bi-monthly member newsletter is sent to every member’s home. Periodic notices to members by mail, phone, or email when issues warrant. Monthly statistical releases to 40 local media outlets. A home page on the World Wide Web.
Headed by the Community relations Committee and GCAR’s not-for-profit Community Outreach Fund, GCAR is active in the Capital Region’s charitable efforts. In the past GCAR has participated with:
- Camp Good Days
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Bedding for the homeless
- Support for local and national disasters
- Housing fairs and homebuyer seminars
- Food pantry
- Habitat for Humanity
- Christmas In April
- Children’s Hospital at Albany Medical Center
- Regional Food Bank
- YMCA Circle of Champs
- American Red Cross
- Homeless Action Committee
Capital Region Multiple Listing Service
A member service, the CRMLS is:
- A cost-effective computerized regional multiple listing service.Managed by a Board of Directors representing members.
- The Association is a 50% shareholder in CRMLS.
Recognizing members for their efforts on behalf of GCAR and the communities it serves is an important part of GCAR’s goals. Awards include:
- REALTOR® of the YearCommunity service awardsUnique transaction award Committee recognition
- Ralph P. DuPont Award
- REALTOR Emeritus
GCAR is affiliated with:
- National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), New York State Association of REALTORS® (NYSAR), Commercial and Industrial Real Estate Brokers, Inc. (CIREB)
- Local Chambers of Commerce
GCAR’s programs and services have been established to meet the needs of our members. To make these programs and services effective, membership participation on the various committees is welcome.