Education is the foundation for professionalism in the real estate industry. GCAR’s school, The Real Estate Professional’s Institute, offers a skill-building calendar to meet the NY Department of State and the National Association of REALTORS’ education requirements. Classes are offered throughout the Capital District and at our headquarters located at 451 New Karner Road, Albany, NY 12205.
Class Cancellation Policy: Cancel at least 24 hours in advance using the online cancelation process shown below. Members who register for a class and do not show are charged a $25 cancellation fee.
To cancel your class registration, complete the following steps:
Enter your Login ID (the same # used to log into Paragon) & Password (initially the word ‘password’ until you change it)
Under Personal Services, click on ‘Your Education History’
Then click on ‘Classes You are registered for’
On the right side of the page you’ll see a cancellation link, click it.
Then click ‘Submit Cancellation.’ There is a ten-second delay before it notes that you have canceled
If you don’t see a cancellation link then you are within the 24 hour period where you need to pay the $25 cancellation fee
How to be added to a class waitlist: Call GCAR reception at 518-464-0191 and ask to be added to a class waitlist.
Too many class receipts when signing up? No need to call, the database only recognizes you once, you are not taking up multiple spots!
Credit policy: To obtain continuing education (CE) credit for any class, you must arrive on time and sign in plus, stay for the duration of the class and sign out in observance of DOS’ requirements.
Photo and video release: Registering for a class grants us your consent to reproduce, edit, broadcast or rebroadcast any video, film, soundtrack recording and photo reproductions of yourself and/or your narrative account of your experience within said activities, for publication, display, or exhibition thereof in promotions, advertising, education, and legitimate business uses without any compensation to, and/or claim by you.
This week, RETI’s Warren Dow will be interviewing Kyle Hunter, Strategic Account Executive at Lone Wolf Technologies, about brokerage back office tools to prepare agents for success. We will discuss financial reporting tools to help agents easily prepare for tax season, including annual expense statements and YTD & 1099 income reports. We will also discuss other tools, like performance tracking, that brokerages can use to help agents with financial planning, goal setting, and ultimately, financial success!
CE Credit: 7 hours
Instructor: Roseann Farrow, ABR, CIPS, CRB, ePRO, GREEN, GRI, RSPS, SFR, SRES
Gain the knowledge and skill base you need to specialize in buying, selling, or managing resort properties and second homes for recreation, investment, and development.
Attend to learn how to:
- Help clients evaluate and select the type of property, form of ownership and financing options to best suit their needs.
- Analyze and explain the tax implications of converting investment property to personal use property.
- Tap into sources of information on complying with local, state, and national regulations of second home vacation and investment properties.
Earn the RSPS certification by passing this course, completing three free one-hour webinars and submitting an application (one-time fee of $195).
CE Credits: 9 hours
Learn how flooring affects home sales
Flooring can make or break your sale. Replacing flooring in a house is a major expense. It is important to understand the types of flooring available and their pros and cons so that you can advise your clients.
- This course will explore the various flooring products, maintenance, how to file a claim, if necessary, and what buyers and sellers should know about slip/fall and fire codes.
- Consumers want their flooring to look good, therefore, we will review the different types of cleaning materials and how to properly care for floors to make them last longer.
- Consumers buying commercial or residential properties may find themselves with difficult site conditions such as moisture challenges. Knowing what products work best with moisture prone areas is essential to the purchase of the correct product.
- We will discuss how to determine if upgrading or refinishing the flooring in property is necessary.
- We will review flooring options or modifications for those consumers who are aging and want to remain in their homes longer.
Upon completion of the course you will receive:
- Free subscription to Fabulous Floors magazine.
- Your photo and contact info will be featured in Fabulous Floors magazine (reach 45,000 consumers).
- Opportunity to write an article for Fabulous Floors or Premier Flooring Retailer.
- Offers and discounts through local flooring retailers that you can pass on to your clients.
- Listing on gcar.com/designations-and-certifications
- FREE Ethics, Fair Housing, & Agency combo class, 7 hours of CE credit and required DOS/NAR classes for FREE (GCAR members only) More info on this offer.
April 11 | 9am – 3:30pm
Overview of flooring products: Carpet • Wood • Laminate • Vinyl • Bamboo • Cork • Tile • Stone
- Pros and Cons of each product
- Trends and development of products
April 12 | 9am – 12pm
Advanced flooring systems and troubleshooting
- Concrete problems
- Standard flooring codes
- Aging in place
Instructor: Lisbeth Calandrino
Lisbeth Calandrino is considered a floorcovering expert and has recently been recognized by Floor Covering News as one of the top ten people making a difference in the flooring industry. For the past twenty years, she has produced flooring training classes for major manufacturers and retailers including Mohawk Industries and The Home Depot. As a certified independent flooring inspector, she is technically savvy on maintenance, warranties, and flooring problems. Lisbeth is currently Associate Publisher of Fabulous Floors Magazine and author of Red Hot Customer Service.
- how to use the HUD website
- how to register and login as a selling agent
- how to find info such as PCD, Lead Base Addendum
- what kind of financing available, each property is different
- how to place an offer
- if you are the winning bidder what your responsibilities are
- electronic signatures
Instructors: Patrick Campbell and Greg Gersch
All proceeds will be donated to Habitat for Humanity
CE Credit: 1
Join us as we discuss the unique needs of the Asian, Middle Eastern, and Indian cultures in this multicultural homebuyer seminar. Gain the knowledge you need to attract multicultural customers.
CE Credit: 7.5 hours
Instructor: Nick Gigante, GRI, AHWD
Serve buyers from presentation package to closing with confidence. From qualifying the buyer, explaining financing, safe showing, preparing an offer, and negotiating, in this course you’ll learn to walk the buyer through the entire process.
Top 3 Takeaways
- Prepare a presentation package bound to secure buyer clients.
- Document Fair Housing Law compliance.
- Educate and guide buyer clients through their transactions with ease.
Satisfies 2 hours of NYS DOS Agency requirement.
Satisfies New York State Fair Housing training requirement for license renewal.