How to Join a Zoom Meeting
Desktop or Laptop Audio & Video
There are two ways to join meeting audio, joining via computer, or joining via telephone. We recommend joining 20 minutes before the start of class, this will give you time to test your audio connection and camera, you will also have time to send any questions to the meeting host.
Mobile App Testing
Open the Zoom app and click New Meeting > Start Meeting
To make sure Zoom has access to your device’s microphone and camera, follow these steps:
- Audio: Go to your phone settings > Privacy > Microphone and switch on the toggle for Zoom.
- Video: Go to your phone settings > Scroll all the way down to Zoom > You will see the access settings, make sure camera access is switched on
- Audio: Go to your phone Settings > Apps & notifications > App permissions > Microphone and switch on the toggle for Zoom
- Video: Go to your phone Settings > Scroll down to Apps/Permissions > Find Zoom App Settings > Click Permissions > Switch Camera on
If you get disconnected for any reason while class is in session, stay calm, follow the same protocol as joining to get back into the class as soon as possible.
Once you return, send a chat to the host explaining what happened and how long you were away.
If you have ongoing technical issues, tell your host in a private message. If that is not possible, contact email@example.com
Mute/Unmute: We ask that you keep your microphone muted unless your instructor or meeting host says otherwise.
Audio Controls (click the ^ arrow next to Mute/Unmute): Allows you to change the microphone and speaker that Zoom is currently using on your computer, leave computer audio, and access the full audio settings.
Use the following keyboard shortcuts to mute or unmute yourself. You can also use push to talk if you want to unmute yourself by holding the spacebar.
- Press and hold SPACE key to temporarily unmute yourself
- Windows: Alt + A
- Mac: Shift + Command + A
Start Video/Stop Video: Turns your camera on or off. Students attending credited classes must stay on camera while class is in session.
Participants: Allows you to see who’s currently in the meeting. You can also access these options:
- Rename: Hover over your name and click Rename to change your screen name displayed to other participants.
Chat: Access the chat window to send questions to the meeting host.
Leave Meeting: Leave the meeting while it continues for the other participants.
In Meeting Chat
Meeting chat will be available for questions directed to the meeting host privately or to everyone.
You’ll be notified about instructor question submission preferences at the beginning of class.
Some instructors will have chat submissions with a designated moderator. Other instructors will ask you to use the “raise hand” button and unmute your own mic to speak.
Virtual Class Breaks
10-minute breaks will be held after each hour of class. During this time, attendees can turn cameras off but must keep the sound on to hear when the break ends.
How to Switch Video Layouts
Speaker View: The default video layout and only shows the active speaker. We recommend this layout while class is in session.
Gallery View: You can also select to view your video layout in Gallery View. When using Gallery View, you will be able to see all participants and will have an arrow to scroll through the remaining participants.
Side by Side View Option: When you are viewing a screen share, you can view in speaker or gallery view at the top of your screen or in Side-by-Side Mode. Click the swap icon at the upper right corner of the Zoom window to switch the content for the video feed.
How to change views in meeting:
- Click the icon at the upper right to swap it back or click Switch to Sharing Content.
- Click View Options, then Side-by-Side Mode to switch into Side-by-Side Mode.
- When in a meeting and viewing a screen, click on View Options and choose Side-by-Side Mode.
- The shared screen will appear on the left and the speaker will appear on the right. Slide the separator to the left or right to adjust the size of each view.
- Click Speaker View or Gallery View at the top to switch between the two.
- To exit Side-by-Side mode, click View Options, then uncheck the Side-by-Side Mode option.
- The video of the speaker will now display at the top of the screen, with the shared screen in the center of the window.
Zoom Class Instructions
Please take some time to familiarize yourself with Zoom by viewing this or other Zoom.us tutorials, there is also a video on the GCAR education website. Remember that in order to receive Continuing Education (CE) credit or licensing course credit, students must be visible and engaged/interactive within the course.
Prior to your first session, you will need to know:
- How to share your video
- Mute and un-mute yourself
- Raise your hand
- Post and view questions or documents in the chatbox
In order to participate and receive CE or licensing credit:
- You will need to use a device with a camera so that your participation may be verified by our staff throughout each course.
- Please sign in 15 minutes early and have reviewed a Zoom tutorial so you are familiar with where your video and microphone controls are—how to raise your hand, where the chat box is to type questions—this is critical so as not to delay the other participants.
- You must sign in by typing your legal name into the chat feature at the start of class, after lunch and when exiting the course.
- A GCAR staff person will moderate the course to ensure compliance
- Please keep your microphone muted during the program unless the instructor opens the floor to questions.
- Please remember to dress appropriately, i.e., in business casual clothing
- Actions not permissible in a physical classroom are not permitted on a video platform such as: Driving a vehicle, assembling furniture, shopping, playing a sport, taking a phone call, any activity that takes your concentration off the course. If such an event occurs, GCAR will turn off your video and you won’t receive course credit for that time period, per the Department of State.
- Have your legal license name displayed in your Zoom window.
- Complete the student attestation and class survey form on the last day of class.
- If you have any needs that come up before or during your class please reach out to your GCAR staff moderator. They will be happy to work with you and assist you as they can.
- Your class may include periodic breaks. You must return from any breaks ON TIME or risk the loss of CE credit.
- A Zoom class link will be sent to you 24 hours prior to the start of class.
GCAR looks forward to hosting you in class, if you have any issues connecting to or during the class, you may call the Education Department at518.464.0191 x15 or zero out to speak to the receptionist. We look forward to seeing you in class!