Your search results

Your Journey Starts Here

NYS Requirements for Licensing as a Salesperson are:

Salesperson Licensing Course Upcoming Schedule

No event found!


I had a license many years ago but let it lapse. Do I have to go through the licensing procedure again?

If you took the 45-hour licensing course before July 1, 2008, this certificate is still valid.  If your license expired more than two years ago, you will have to take the NYS exam again before you can renew your license. If your license expired less than two years ago, you only need to compete the 22 1/2 hours of continuing education before you renew your license. In either case, your broker must sign the renewal form.

If I miss a portion of the Qualifying Course what happens?

According to the New York Department of State, you must complete 90% of the class time in order to pass the course. In other words, if you miss more than 7.5 hours of the entire class, you will automatically fail.

Who needs a license?

According to Article 12-A of the Real Property Law, “anyone who negotiates any form of real estate transaction for another and for compensation of any kind in the State of New York” needs a license.

What is the difference between a broker and a salesperson?

A broker is the owner or corporate officer of the firm. The broker sponsors, trains, and supervises all the real estate activities of the agents for which he/she is responsible. A salesperson works for and under the direction of the sponsoring broker.

Do I need a sponsoring broker to take the course?

No, many people take the course for personal reasons and have no intention of getting a license. You also do not need a sponsoring broker to take the State exam. You do need a sponsoring broker at time of license application.

What happens if I take the course but am not ready to apply for my license?

Your 75-hour course completion certificate is good for eight years. If you are not ready to apply for your license at the end of the course, you must hold on to your certificates until you are ready. Remember the NYS exam results are good for two years.

What if I have a Felony?

If you have been convicted of a crime that is a misdemeanor or felony, you must submit a written explanation and provide a copy of the court records detailing the allegations of the offense and how the case was resolved. If you have received a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities, Certificate of Good Conduct, or Executive Pardon, you must submit a copy with the application.

How Do I Contact DOS?

You can email the Department of State here dos.ny.gov/form/contact-us

New Member Orientation
After getting licensed and submitting your application to join GCAR, you must successfully complete the New Member Orientation Class. There is no charge for the Orientation class. Learn more here.

GCAR has partnered with The CE Shop to offer online licensing classes.